Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Facebook Sign In with OpenID

Swingset Between Trees

As part of my upcoming tree house build, I intend to install a swing-set between two trees.  These trees stand apart and are unrelated to the rest of my build. The trees are 12 ft apart. I want to do it right; however, it seems like overkill to use 1 inch lag bolts and heavy duty tree house sliding brackets meant to hold up much larger structures (and which would cost nearly $200). I assume I will use a pressure treated 4x6 as the swing beam, but that is up for discussion.  At 12 feet, the swing-set will probably hold three swings. The swing beam will be mounted about 7 feet off the ground. If anyone has any insights or thoughts, my questions are:
  1. What size swing beam should I use? 
  2. Can I use 3/4 lags for this part of the project?
  3. Are there any commercial brackets I can use pr re-purpose?
  4. Can I make a bracket by threading the lag bolt through some pipe and then a u-bolt around the pipe and through the swing beam?     

Comments

• UPDATE: 

I decided to reverse engineer a "tree house bolt" and sliding bracket the best I could with commercially available materials.  For the swing beam, I decided to use a PT 4 x 6.

For the tree house bolt, I used twelve inch 3/4 lags.  I then put the lag through a six inch piece of galvanized threaded pipe with two floor flanges on either end of the pipe (with two fender washers).  I used a 3" forstner bit to drill into the tree and placed a hockey puck against the heartwood.  I drilled a 3/4" hold through the middle of the hockey puck.  I then pre-drilled and sunk the 12" lag (with galvanized pipe) tight against the hockey puck, about 6 inches into the tree.  I sprayed everything with LeakSeal for some additional corrosion resistance.  

Once the beam was placed on top of the protruding bolts, I used 1/2"  4" x 7" square U bolts to attach the beam to the bolts.  Now, if the trees sway, at least there is a couple inches of play on either bolt. 
    Pictures are attached.  I apologize the hockey puck is not visible. I will be adding a eye-through bolt and secondary wire as a safety.    

The cost per setup was around $22.  

I will be making more of these of anyone is interested or has comments.   
    IMG_1452a.JPG
    2448 x 3264 - 4M
    IMG_1451.JPG
    2448 x 3264 - 4M